Elderly Mental Illness: Identify the Symptoms and Seek CareMarch 22, 2019
Elderly Mental Illness:
Elders falling prey to mental disorders is considered normal and a part of aging. However, it is not so and actually is a medical condition. More than 20% of the elders feel some kind of mental health concern, but not even half of them get adequate care or medical assistance. The statistics on elderly mental illness disorders is sobering which needs everyone around them to be more careful and vigilant in providing the care.
Depression, mood disorder, and severe cognitive impairment are also known as dementia are a few of the most common problems. They need immediate attention and treatment to avert other impending serious mental health conditions. Once diagnosed with any condition, you can pursue the treatment for a better outcome. The treatment can continue further by getting medicines from an online pharmacy store.
It is crucial for everyone in the family to keep watching the developing symptoms and meet a doctor in case of any abnormal behavior.
Symptoms that lead to Mental illness to an Elder Person:
- Changed way of dressing and difficulty in maintaining the looks
- Poor decision making and difficulty in concentration
- Disorientation, confusion, and getting lost
- Increase or decrease in appetite
- Depressed mood and unwillingness to talk or sit with others
- Memory loss or difficulty to recall even recent things
- Physical discomfort which they find difficult to explain
- Change in sleep patterns
- Trouble in handling finances and difficulty with numbers
- Increased irritability, anger, or aggression
Though growing age is a leading cause of the problem, there are also other risk factors that lead to the deterioration of mental health conditions in the elder.
Risk factors for Mental Illness among the Elderly:
- Alcohol and substance abuse
- Living in a new location, a new environment or with new people
- Loss of some loved one
- Long-term illness from any chronic disease
- The side effect of any medication
- Physical disability
- Poor diet or malnutrition
For many of the conditions, expert medical help is available only if you identify the symptoms and proceed to get proper care for that. There are support groups which can assist elders in dealing with their problems. Dedicated caregivers for elders are also available to help elders with their daily chores and help in taking medicines on time.
You should also meet a psychologist on time to seek help before the conditions get worsened. The doctor will evaluate the condition, the severity of the symptoms and would recommend medicines or therapies that can help. You can easily buy medicine online to continue the treatment. However, it is very important to visit the doctor as scheduled and take the suggested dosage of medicines. Skipping the pills in case of mental illnesses can deteriorate the condition. You can buy medicines online with discount and keep a stock of them for more convenience.